Nick Gatfield – Sony Music UK Boss.
“Sony are too reliant on X-Factor”
Sony Music Case Study.
- Sony has a range of sub labels for different genres Eg. Artista (Country), RCA (Pop), Epic (Chart Pop), Legacy (Classics)
- Each label draws in a specific audience to make a mass audience
- Sony is an umbrella corporation
- Sony uses a business model for music
- Can’t easily access range of music or videos through official Sony artist sites – Drake, One Direction,
- Sony promote only latest releases – funneling – no wide choice for audience
- Consumers can’t buy directly from label – sends to third parties Eg. Apple iTunes store, Spotify (for streaming) and merchandise through third party sellers
- Sony Music do not offer fan interaction opportunities
- Sony’s model is a vertically integrated model (walled garden)