- Intro : There are a number of problems facing the music industry. They include… Mainstream and Independent labels are dealing with these problems very differently. For example, mainstream labels like… are very discouraging and against the idea of convergence technology because it provides their audiences with more control. Independent labels however, like.. , are quite open to the idea and even support it. This difference in views affects the audience experience in a wide variety of ways.
- Audiences that like convergence tech – Generation C or Active Audiences.
- Develop : The convergence technology which is essentially smartphones, tablets, etc are all things that can be used to both play and make music with just taps of the finger. These are not supported by the big 3 because… and are supported by the more Independent labels because… This makes the audience experience much better for fans of the Independent labels.
- Soul Jazz Caters to CDs MP3s and Vinyls.
- Conclusion : In conclusion, the Independent labels approach to convergence technology makes their audiences experience far better in comparison to the mainstream labels.
- Discuss how Soul Jazz and Sony are better for different audiences. This means neither of them are better.
There are a number of problems facing the music industry. They include, the introduction of convergence technology, improving the audience experience but also taking control away from the labels and changed the way audiences will both consume and distribute their music forever. Mainstream and Independent labels are dealing with these problems very differently. For example, mainstream labels like Sony, Warner and Universal (Big 3) are very discouraging and against the idea of convergence technology because it provides their audiences with more control over music distribution. As Marrakesh’s survey findings of 2009 claim, most audiences access their music through illegitimate means so that it they can get it free. Making it apparent that most people don’t want to pay for their music and want it in mp3 format rather than owning physical copies. Independent labels however, like Soul Jazz and Heavenly Recordings, are quite open to the idea and even support it. These labels allow their audiences to listen to their music on their site completely free. They do also however offer purchases in multiple formats such as CD, Vinyl and Mp3.